Temporary imports

Sometimes you may be bringing in goods which you intend to take out at a later date.

These could be items such as samples which are not for sale or camera gear for use in a television or film production. 

Goods such as these are known as temporary imports and slightly different rules apply.

Non consumable goods that will be in New Zealand for less than 12 months may be entered on a temporary basis. If you do not hold a carnet for the goods, you can arrange for a Customs broker or freight forwarder to submit an electronic temporary lodgement for your shipment. A security in the form of a cash deposit may be required. 

This description was last updated on: Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Detailed information related to Temporary imports

The carnet is an international Customs document. It is designed to make the temporary importation of goods into other countries much easier. It is a guarantee that the goods you are taking into that country will eventually be taken out again and returned to their country of origin. The same document set is used at both ports of departure and ports of arrival. It contains a set of detachable import/export vouchers to be completed by Customs at each port. 

The ATA carnet has a validity of 12 months commencing from the date of issue.

Please inquire at your local Chamber of Commerce for further details of the ATA carnet system.

The Wellington Regional Chamber of Commerce issues carnets in New Zealand. Their contact details are:

Level 28, Majestic Centre
100 Willis Street
PO Box 1590

Call free carnet: 0508 227 638
Fax: +64-4-914 6524
Email: info@wellingtonchamber.co.nz
Website: www.wellingtonchamber.co.nz

Carnets for Australian imports into New Zealand are available from:

The Victorian Employers’ Chamber of Commerce and Industry
196 Flinders Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000

Phone: +61 3 8662 5380
Fax: +61 3 8662 5201
Email: sriego@vecci.org.au
Website: www.vecci.org.au (non-Government website)

If you require further information on temporary import entries, please contact any Customs office.

This detail was last updated on Thursday, 08 March 2012