- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is Excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Customs-Controlled Areas
- Excise forms and documents
From 1 October 2018 Customs will have a new Act. The changes mainly affect our business customers. Find out what this may mean for your business.
New Health Promotion Agency (HPA) Levy rates for alcohol from 1 July 2016
The annual adjustment to the levy rates on alcoholic beverages will take place on 1 July 2016.
The new HPA rates are:
|Current HPA rates to 30 June 2016||New HPA rates from 1 July 2016|
|0.5628 cents per litre||0.5707 cents per litre|
|1.6590 cents per litre||1.6945 cents per litre|
|3.0015 cents per litre||
3.0435 cents per litre
|3.7519 cents per litre||3.8043 cents per litre|
|6.9674 cents per litre||6.8014 cents per litre|
|14.4058 cents per litre||14.5799 cents per litre|
The Legislative Instrument that provides for these new rates is the New Zealand Public Health and Disability (Health Promotion Agency Levy) Order 2016.
Alcoholic beverages removed from a licensed manufacturing area or imported after midnight on 30 June 2016 will be subject to the new rates.
For further information see the Duties & charges section, or contact Customs on 0800 428 786 (0800 4 CUSTOMS).