- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
COVID-19 update 26 March: Temporary entry restrictions remain in place at the NZ border – for more information please refer to either the Immigration NZ website or the Ministry of Health website. The border is open ONLY to NZ citizens and residents, Realm countries, Australian citizens and permanent residents ordinarily resident in NZ, airline and marine crew. More Customs’ information in relation to COVID-19 is available on this website. For more information about the NZ Government’s COVID-19 response, please refer to the official COVID-19 website.
Clearing your items
Ask the company who is shipping your items to give you the documents you need. Some companies may also help you clear your items with us.
Shipping companies who help you lodge your clearance will charge an extra fee on top of any Customs charges.
If you’re only importing household or personal effects, you can clear them yourself.
To get Customs clearance for your items, you must give us:
- a completed NZCS 218: Unaccompanied Personal Baggage Declaration (DOC 269 KB)
- any permits you need, eg:
- your passport and/or evidence that you’re allowed to live in NZ
- a full inventory of the items you’re bringing into NZ
- the shipping arrival papers, eg Bill of Lading, Airway Bill or Arrival Advice.
- Clearance from MPI. *
* This will completed by NZ Customs, once all the required documents have been received.
You can then email all the documents to your nearest Customs Office.
If your items arrive in NZ before you do
If your items arrive in NZ before you do, you must authorise someone else to clear your items for you.
In addition to the documents listed above, they’ll need:
- permission in writing from you
- a photocopy of the head/biographical page of your passport.
If someone else clears your items for you, you might have to pay GST and duties on the items.