Personal household items
If you're travelling to NZ, either for the first time or after having been overseas, and you're bringing your personal household items with you, please follow the instructions on this page.
If you have any questions or general enquiries about what you're bringing into NZ, please visit the Contact us section or call 0800 428 786.
Alternatively, you can contact a Customs broker to liaise with Customs on your behalf.
Arrange transport for your items. Your transport company will provide you with documentation that you will need to complete this process.
The company that has transported your items will contact you when your items arrive in NZ.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- NZCS 218 Bringing Personal Household Items into NZ
- Copy of your photo ID
- Packing List (a list of all the things you are transporting to NZ)
- Shipping document (Air Waybill/Bill of Lading)
- Notice or letter from your transport company stating that your items have arrived in NZ
- MPI Supplementary Biosecurity Declaration (PDF 865 KB).
Depending on how long you have been away from NZ and your visa status, a Customs officer will issue you with an invoice based on the Customs Value of your items, which is the cost of the item in New Zealand Dollars, as well as the cost of shipping and any insurance.
The invoice may include:
- $55.71 Import Transaction Fee
- 15% GST
- Duty, this depends on what your items are and where they are coming from.
If you're moving back to NZ after having been away for more than 21 months, or are moving here for the first time, you may not have to pay the 15% GST or Duty. The Customs officer who is processing your application will assess if you must pay GST and Duty.
Once you have paid, your transport company will receive automatic notification that your items can be delivered to you.