- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Customs-controlled areas
- Excise forms and documents
The Working Tariff Document (WTD) has been reprinted with an effective date of 30 December 2018. Read more
Border clearance levy
People arriving and departing New Zealand must pay a border clearance levy.
Air travellers and people on private craft must pay:
- NZ$15.79 arrival levy including GST
- NZ$2.94 departure levy including GST.
Cruise passengers must pay:
- NZ$18.10 arrival levy including GST
- NZ$4.72 departure levy including GST.
These charges are included in your ticket when you book air travel or a cruise. We will send an invoice to private aircraft and yachts.
The Border Clearance Levy performance for the year to 30 June 2017 and proposed rates beginning 1 July 2018 report is now available.