Skip to main content
Page load in progress

Travelling to New Zealand

New Zealander's border

New Zealand's borders are fully open to visitors from anywhere in the world.

To find out more about travelling to New Zealand visit International Travel

For information about travelling to New Zealand by sea visit our Maritime Border page.

Prohibited and restricted imports

You won’t be able to bring prohibited items into NZ.

You may be able be able to bring some restricted items into NZ, but only if you have a permit for them, or after they have gone through treatments like fumigation.

Note: you can’t bring pepper spray into NZ – we consider it to be a weapon.

Border processing levy

People coming and going over NZ’s border must pay a border processing levy on arrival and departure

Travellers arriving on airlines or private craft must pay:

  • A Customs levy of NZ$16.59
  • A biosecurity levy of NZ$16.92.

Travellers departing on airlines or private craft must pay a Customs levy of NZ$4.52.

Travellers arriving on a cruise ship must pay:

  • A Customs levy of NZ$11.48
  • A biosecurity levy of NZ$10.58.

Travellers departing on a cruise ship must pay a Customs levy of NZ$4.55.

These levy rates are exclusive of any applicable GST.

These charges are included in your ticket when you book air travel or a cruise. We’ll send an invoice for private craft.

Fees and charges

We charge duties based on how much you paid for items you’re bringing into NZ. We also charge GST (15%) on the total value, including duties.

If you don’t know how much it cost – eg it was a gift – we may have your item valued independently.

We only accept payments in NZ dollars. You can pay with cash, EFTPOS, or VISA/MasterCard credit cards.

Bringing money into NZ

You can either complete a NZCS 337: Border Cash Report (DOC 332 KB) or the online Border Cash Report form if you carry NZ$10,000 (or foreign equivalent) or more cash or equivalent into or out of New Zealand. Note: if you wish to use the online Border Cash Report form, this can only be carried out within 72 hours of your travel.

Cash means:

  • physical currency
  • travellers’ cheques
  • cheques
  • money orders, postal orders, or similar
  • bearer bonds
  • a bill of exchange
  • promissory notes
  • any instrument prescribed by regulations under the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009.

It’s a criminal offence to lie on your report or to avoid making the report. If you do either, you could:

  • be fined
  • be imprisoned
  • have your cash seized.

Translations of the Border Cash Report are available in the following languages:

Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), FrenchGerman, Japanese, KoreanMāori, PortugueseSpanish.

Your Border Cash Report must be completed in English.

Learn more in Fact Sheet 13: Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 (PDF 710 KB). 

Temporary import entry (TIE)

If you’re bringing in items you intend to take back out with you, you may not have to pay duty on them.

To qualify as “temporary imports”, the items must:

  • be in the same condition as when you brought them in
  • be uniquely identifiable, eg with a serial number
  • be for your personal use, and not for sale, exchange, distribution or as a gift
  • be non-consumable
  • leave NZ within 12 months of arriving here (yachts and small craft must leave within 2 years) - in some cases, we may grant an extension. You must apply at least a month in advance.

You will need a TIE if:

  • you don’t have a carnet for your items
  • your items aren’t household effects that came into NZ with you.

You must arrange a TIE with us before you arrive in NZ.

There is a fee on any TIE.

Financial security on temporary import entry

We may require financial security for temporary imports. There are three forms of financial security:

Items which qualify for temporary import entry

Items which qualify for temporary import include:

  • cameras (still, video, and motion picture) a supply of film, tapes, and accessories
  • binoculars
  • musical instruments
  • sound and video devices (eg, tape recorders, CD players, mini disc players, DVD players, and dictating machines)
  • portable radio receivers
  • cellular or mobile telephones
  • portable personal computers (laptops) and accessories
  • baby carriages and strollers
  • wheelchairs
  • sporting equipment.

You can also bring in, as temporary imports:

  • professional equipment and items for display or use at exhibitions, fairs, meetings or similar events
  • items you’re importing for educational, scientific, cultural or humanitarian purposes
  • tourist publicity material
  • items you’re importing for sports purposes
  • animals
  • containers, pallets, packing and samples
  • motor vehicles, private boats and aircraft.

Declaring items you owned before leaving NZ

When you arrive in NZ, you don’t need to declare any items that you had before you left the country (including duty-free bought before leaving).

If you’re worried that items you took overseas could affect your duty-free allowance, you can ask us for a Certificate of Export. This is proof that you owned the item when you left NZ.

You can get the certificate from us before you leave NZ. We can only issue it for uniquely identifiable items, eg. with serial numbers.

If the items are new video or camera equipment, we suggest you carry documents proving you already owned them before you left.

Taking items back out of NZ

If you’re bringing items into NZ that you’ll be taking back out with you, you won’t have to pay GST and duties on some. These include:

  • still, video, and movie cameras
  • a reasonable supply of films, tapes, and accessories
  • binoculars
  • portable musical instruments
  • portable sound and video players, eg tape recorders, CD players, mini disc players, DVD player
  • dictaphones and portable recorders
  • portable radio receivers
  • cellphones (mobile phones)
  • laptops/tablets and accessories
  • baby carriages and strollers
  • wheelchairs
  • sports equipment.

If your items don’t match this list, we may need you to give us a cash deposit to cover GST and duties. We will refund you when you take the items out of NZ.