- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
On Monday 20 January it's Wellington Anniversary Day and Wellington Customhouse will be closed to the public and will reopen on Tuesday 21 January.
New HPA Levy rates for alcohol
The annual adjustment to the levy rates on alcoholic beverages will take place on 1 July 2017.
The new HPA rates are:
|Class||Current HPA rates to 30 June 2017||New HPA rates from 1 July 2017|
|A – 1.15–2.5 % alcohol||0.5707 cents per litre||0.5409 cents per litre|
|B – 2.5–6 % alcohol||1.6945 cents per litre||1.6152 cents per litre|
|C – 6–9% alcohol||3.0435 cents per litre||2.8847 cents per litre|
|D – 9–14% alcohol||3.8043 cents per litre||3.6059 cents per litre|
|E – 13-23% alcohol||6.8014 cents per litre||6.4281 cents per litre|
|F – more than 23% alcohol||14.5799 cents per litre||12.4064 cents per litre|
The Legislative Instrument that provides for these new rates is the New Zealand Public Health and Disability (Health Promotion Agency Levy) Order 2017.
Alcoholic beverages removed from a licensed manufacturing area or imported after midnight on 30 June 2017 will be subject to the new rates.
For further information see the Duties & charges section, or contact Customs on 0800 428 786 (0800 4 CUSTOMS).