Skip to main content
Page load in progress

Domestic Transhipment Request (DTR) Sea Freight FAQs

A Domestic Transhipment Request (DTR) is an electronic request to move uncleared cargo from one approved facility to another approved facility.

This is required for any point-to-point movement

An approved facility must be both a Customs-controlled Area and a Transitional Facility

Glossary of terms

  • CCA - Customs-controlled Area
  • DTR - Domestic Transhipment Request
  • ICR - Inward Cargo Report
  • ITR - International Transhipment Request
  • TF - Transitional Facility
  • Continuing Collectors Permit – Release Note

What is DTR intended to do?

DTRs intent is to replace the current manual approval systems for domestic transhipments i.e.:

  • Customs ‘Continuing Collectors Permit’ (NZCS 203), paperless transhipments and hard copy ‘Permit to Remove’ for movement in NZ ‘under bond’
  • We will use DTR instead of Biosecurity Authority Clearance Certificate (BACC) applications for the movement of uncleared cargo.

Who submits a DTR?

There are no restrictions on who can submit a DTR. A DTR can be submitted by freight forwarders, approved facility operators, Shipping Lines, or by anyone who is interested in moving the container from one approved facility to another approved facility.

Will multiple movements require multiple ICRs (DTRs)?

Yes - DTRs are a point-to-point movement.

How much does a DTR cost?

Currently no fees are charged where an ICR is submitted to only request a DTR movement. Charges still apply to ICRs that includes write-offs and Carrier ICRs.  Refer to Goods Clearance Fees on this website.

How is a DTR lodged?

A DTR can be lodged using a third-party software which has DTR capabilities or via TSW Online.

A DTR must be lodged as part of an ICR. 

DTRs can be included in the carrier ICR, or as a separate ICR submitted by a freight forwarder or an approved facility operator. 

Refer to ICR Factsheet for requirements of completing an ICR.

Does approval of DTR mean approval to release goods?

No. The DTR relates to the movement of uncleared cargo only.

  • Approval means that the cargo can be moved from one approved facility to another.
  • This TSW notification/s contain both a Movement and Clearance status as they are independent of each other.
  • It is possible a consignment may be approved to move, but we may still need additional action or information to be performed prior to clearance being given.

Do I need to be a declarant?

No. However, if a DTR is part of an ICR with write off requests, then a declarant with the required privileges will need to lodge the request.

Can I use DTR to move an FAK container where some goods are already cleared?

Yes – a DTR must be used for the movement of an FAK container where some of the consignments may have been cleared.

Note: An FAK container will not be broken down at the Port to release individual cargo items.

What if the movement is Declined?

If the DTR is declined, the goods cannot be moved on this request.

What if the movement is Held?

If the DTR is held, the goods cannot be moved on this request until the risk identified has been mitigated and subsequent approval given.

How quickly will we receive movement authority with DTR?

A DTR initial response will be provided within minutes.

Can I amend my DTR submission?

Yes.  An ICR can be amended to make any changes or add a DTR.

Will DTR Sea replace the AF9 System we have in place?

There will be no impact on AF9 process

Will there be a need for a DTR for each consignment from a devanned container if it needs to move to another CCA-TF?

Yes, a DTR is required for any point-to-point movement of uncleared cargo

Will there be an option to select UNLOCODE for ports rather than CCA code?

Yes, UNLOCODEs are permitted within a DTR submission

What happens to the DTR if a container / consignment is cleared prior to reaching destination?

If goods are cleared, then they can be delivered to an end destination. Clearance takes precedence over DTRs

Do Movements within port i.e., 2 different CCAs require DTR?

Yes, every point-to-point movement requires a DTR

Who is actually responsible for applying for and completing the movement for DTRs?

We assume that the person responsible for moving the goods will lodge the DTR.  We don't expect port companies to apply for a DTR.

I am a Carrier, I need to submit an ICR for multiple transshipments of the same container- will I be charged for multiple ICRs?

If multiple ICRs are submitted by a carrier for multiple transshipments, then these will need to be submitted as Non-Carrier ICRs to cover those movements. It is important that you submit them as Non-Carrier ICRs rather than Carrier ICRs to avoid agency charges.

How do we keep in touch?

  • Monthly updates through Industry Webinars
  • Updates will be provided through Customs release and through CBAFF newsletter
  • Direct Contact by emailing the
  • Updates and new FAQ’s will be available on the Customs website

Need help?

If you require any assistance or further information, please feel free to email