- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
- Advice for exporters, importers and businesses
- Movement of goods
- Customs duties
- Excise clients
- Goods clearance fees deferral
- Lodging of Import Declarations
- Movement of critical supplies
- NZ Maritime Border Controls
- Permits and Carnets
- Point of Care test kits
- Public counters
- Tariff Concessions
- Trade enquiries
Our website has been designed to improve the customer experience when searching for information.
This website and its content have been developed with reference to the New Zealand Government Web Standards.
All the changes are intended to make our site more accessible. Being accessible means the information is easier to find, more logical, more complete and, much easier to read and understand.
Accessibility is also about a certain openness and inclusiveness. Customs is very much a part of the community that we are charged with protecting. So we have tried to make our site attractive and friendly to all. We hope the experience of using it is an enjoyable one.
Browsers and operating environments
This website is responsive - this means you can view the website on multiple devices, eg. desktops, laptops, iPads, tablets and mobile phones.
We've also aimed to make the website as accessible as possible by ensuring that it has been tested on the following browsers and operating environments.
- Android 6
- Android 7
Mobile has been tested via Browserstack, mainly on the various Samsung Galaxies and various iPhones.
- Breakpoints have been tested
- Resolutions from 1024 x 768 up to 1920 x 1200 on desktop.
If your browser does not support images, or they are turned off, you will find that all images on the site come with an alternative text description.
A number of our documents are available online as Adobe Acrobat PDF files. PDF files ensure that the presentation is consistent across multiple platforms and provides a structured medium to print from.
In order to view PDF files, a PDF reader must be downloaded and installed. A PDF reader can be obtained free from the Adobe Acrobat website.
Alternative document formats are provided where possible for online documents. Historical documents are in the process of being converted to HTML.
Should you experience any technical difficulties, or find content problems, or have a suggestion for improving the website, please don’t hesitate to contact our web team.