WCO3 Adoption update - Inward Cargo Reports

03.31pm 04 September 2018 | News


The 1 July 2018 mandatory date for adopting the WCO3-format cargo reporting and clearance messages has now passed and we have 94% of trade submitting through TSW. The remaining 6% are Inward Cargo Report submitters and CusWeb users.

Inward Cargo Report pilot

The Inward Cargo Report (ICR) message has been undergoing a thorough pilot before a mandatory date is confirmed to make sure businesses, systems and agencies transition smoothly. The ICR project aims to pilot the processes which replace existing import ECI processes, using the WCO3 ICR message. There are three sectors to pilot the message with – airlines, shipping lines and brokers/freight forwarders.

Airlines pilot - the airline pilot project has completed, with airlines now including house airway bill information on their carrier ICRs. At over 70% adopted already, the airlines will shortly move to full adoption of WCO3.

Shipping Lines pilot - the various sea scenarios piloted have had a positive outcome, although there is one last change being made in order to support reporting of empty containers going to different Transitional Facilities in a single consignment.

Brokers/Freight forwarders pilot - brokers and freight forwarders have been testing low value write-off reports, and ICRs with 1000+ consignments are now easily handled by the system. If your software is ready, anyone is welcome to submit Air Low Value write offs using TSW.

ICR readiness - if you’re not sure how your organisation is going to submit ICRs, please contact us at jbms@customs.govt.nz and we can work with you to make a plan.

ICR mandatory date

Our target mandatory date for Inward Cargo Reports was 31 October. Given the change still needed for empty container reporting and the need for all ports to be WCO3-response capable, we will push this date out. A new date will be confirmed once ports and software providers confirm their readiness.

Domestic Transhipment

Electronic Domestic Transhipment Requests, which are completed using an ICR, is not being piloted with the other ICR functions. While this is built and fully tested in TSW, we will run a thorough pilot and consult with industry before this major business process change is mandated. This won’t be till 2019.

CusWeb Users

We’ve been contacting remaining CusWeb users about registering for TSW Online so you’re ready to make the change. We are also making improvements to make the transition to TSW Online easier following feedback.

Reminder: Cargo Custodians must accept electronic ‘delivery orders’

Before TSW went live in 2013, we consulted with industry groups on the introduction of electronic delivery notifications or ‘delivery orders’ when the import or export clearance is submitted using the new WCO3 format messages. These notifications contain:

  • Customs and MPI delivery instructions for imports (whether final or conditional release)
  • Customs clearance for exports

In 2017, Customs updated CCA Procedure Statements to require all CCAs to accept and act on electronic delivery notifications sent via email or EDI messaging. For more information refer to the fact sheet How TSW Notifications Work.

Information Sessions and Other Help

The WCO3 Messages Summary along with TSW Fact sheets explain the WCO3 messages and requirements - the ICR Fact Sheet will be added shortly. We held TSW information sessions around the country in April – the presentation with Q&As added is on our website.

If you have feedback or would like more information on this update, please email jbms@customs.govt.nz