- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
- Advice for exporters, importers and businesses
- Movement of goods
- Customs duties
- Excise clients
- Goods clearance fees deferral
- Lodging of Import Declarations
- Movement of critical supplies
- NZ Maritime Border Controls
- Permits and Carnets
- Point of Care test kits
- Public counters
- Tariff Concessions
- Trade enquiries
New excise duties rates for tobacco and tobacco products
The annual indexation increase to excise and excise-equivalent duty rates will take place on 1 January 2017.
The annual indexation increase is based on the movement in the All Groups Consumers Price Index (excluding credit services) over the 12-month period to 30 September 2016.
In addition to the annual indexation increase, the duty rates are also increased by 10 percent. This is the first of the four 10% increases that was announced in the 2016 Budget and legislated for in the Customs and Excise Act 1996.
The new rates are those set out in the Excise and Excise-equivalent Duties Table (Tobacco Products Indexation and Separate 10% Increase) Amendment Order 2016.
The new rates are summarised as:
|Tobacco products||Rate of excise and excise - equivalent duty from 1 January 2017|
exceeding in weight 0.8kg actual tobacco content
$1,051.83 per kilo tobacco content (KTC)
$738.13 per 1,000 cigarettes
|Smoking tobacco, homogenised or reconstituted tobacco||$1,051.83 per kilo tobacco content (KTC)|
|Other tobacco products, eg snuff, cigars, cheroots and cigarillos||$922.64 per kilo tobacco content (KTC)|
Tobacco and tobacco products removed from a licensed manufacturing area or imported after midnight on 31 December 2016 will be subject to the new rates.
If you need further information, please contact Customs on 0800 428 786 (0800 4 CUSTOMS).