- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
COVID-19 update 26 March: Temporary entry restrictions remain in place at the NZ border – for more information please refer to either the Immigration NZ website or the Ministry of Health website. The border is open ONLY to NZ citizens and residents, Realm countries, Australian citizens and permanent residents ordinarily resident in NZ, airline and marine crew. More Customs’ information in relation to COVID-19 is available on this website. For more information about the NZ Government’s COVID-19 response, please refer to the official COVID-19 website.
New excise duty rates for alcohol from 1 July 2017
The annual adjustment to the excise and excise-equivalent duty rates on alcoholic beverages will take place on 1 July 2017.
The annual adjustment is based on movements in the Consumer Price Index less credit services subgroup over the 12-month period prior to 31 March 2017.
The new rates are those set out in the Excise and Excise-equivalent Duties Table (Alcoholic Beverages Indexation) Amendment Order 2017.
The rates are summarised as:
|Current excise rate to 30 June 2017||New excise (GST excl.) from 1 July 2017|
|42.650 cents per litre of beverage||43.573 cents per litre of beverage|
|$28.438 per litre of alcohol||$29.054 per litre of alcohol|
|$2.2750 per litre of beverage||$2.3243 per litre of beverage|
|$2.8438 per litre of beverage||$2.9054 per litre of beverage|
|$51.795 per litre of alcohol||$52.916 per litre of beverage|
Alcohol products removed from a licensed manufacturing area or imported after midnight on 30 June 2017 will be subject to the new rates.
For further information, see the Types of duties, fees & charges section, or please contact Customs on 0800 428 786 (0800 4 CUSTOMS).