- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
New excise duty rates for alcohol from 1 July 2017
The annual adjustment to the excise and excise-equivalent duty rates on alcoholic beverages will take place on 1 July 2017.
The annual adjustment is based on movements in the Consumer Price Index less credit services subgroup over the 12-month period prior to 31 March 2017.
The new rates are those set out in the Excise and Excise-equivalent Duties Table (Alcoholic Beverages Indexation) Amendment Order 2017.
The rates are summarised as:
|Current excise rate to 30 June 2017||New excise (GST excl.) from 1 July 2017|
|42.650 cents per litre of beverage||43.573 cents per litre of beverage|
|$28.438 per litre of alcohol||$29.054 per litre of alcohol|
|$2.2750 per litre of beverage||$2.3243 per litre of beverage|
|$2.8438 per litre of beverage||$2.9054 per litre of beverage|
|$51.795 per litre of alcohol||$52.916 per litre of beverage|
Alcohol products removed from a licensed manufacturing area or imported after midnight on 30 June 2017 will be subject to the new rates.
For further information, see the Types of duties, fees & charges section, or please contact Customs on 0800 428 786 (0800 4 CUSTOMS).