- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
On Monday 20 January it's Wellington Anniversary Day and Wellington Customhouse will be closed to the public and will reopen on Tuesday 21 January.
New excise duty rates for alcohol from 1 July 2017
The annual adjustment to the excise and excise-equivalent duty rates on alcoholic beverages will take place on 1 July 2017.
The annual adjustment is based on movements in the Consumer Price Index less credit services subgroup over the 12-month period prior to 31 March 2017.
The new rates are those set out in the Excise and Excise-equivalent Duties Table (Alcoholic Beverages Indexation) Amendment Order 2017.
The rates are summarised as:
|Current excise rate to 30 June 2017||New excise (GST excl.) from 1 July 2017|
|42.650 cents per litre of beverage||43.573 cents per litre of beverage|
|$28.438 per litre of alcohol||$29.054 per litre of alcohol|
|$2.2750 per litre of beverage||$2.3243 per litre of beverage|
|$2.8438 per litre of beverage||$2.9054 per litre of beverage|
|$51.795 per litre of alcohol||$52.916 per litre of beverage|
Alcohol products removed from a licensed manufacturing area or imported after midnight on 30 June 2017 will be subject to the new rates.
For further information, see the Types of duties, fees & charges section, or please contact Customs on 0800 428 786 (0800 4 CUSTOMS).