- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
COVID-19 update 2 April: Temporary entry restrictions are in place at the NZ border. ONLY New Zealand residents and citizens (and their children and partners) are permitted to enter New Zealand – this includes the Realm countries (the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau), Australian citizens and permanent residents ordinarily resident in New Zealand, airline and marine crew. There will be some exceptions to the entry restrictions, on a case by case basis. For more information on the temporary entry restrictions, please refer to either the Immigration NZ website or the Ministry of Health website. More Customs’ information in relation to COVID-19, including how Customs is continuing to ensure that imports/exports clear the NZ border, is available on this website. For more information about the NZ Government’s COVID-19 response, please refer to the official COVID-19 website.
A client code is a unique number that identifies individual importers and exporters.
Client codes are only issued to New Zealand entities (such as registered New Zealand companies). A client code is required as part of the import and export entry preparation for shipments valued at NZ$1000 or more.
If you think you may already have a client code, please get in touch with our National Contact Centre to confirm.
If you don't have a client code your broker can apply for this on your behalf, discuss this with your broker, or you can apply for a client code yourself. To do this:
- complete form NZCS 224: Trade Single Window – Client Registration Application (DOC 534 KB)
- include the required identity documents
- email or fax to Customs via the email or fax number provided on the form.
For more information see import entry process.