From 1 October 2018 Customs will have a new Act. The changes mainly affect our business customers. Find out what this may mean for your business.
All imported items must be cleared through Customs.
Commercial items are anything you’re going to sell or use for your business.
Before you import anything, check our Prohibited and Restricted Import list to see whether:
- it’s allowed into New Zealand, and/or
- it needs approval or consent first.
You’re not allowed to bring pirated or counterfeit items into the country.
Before you can receive your goods – ie. get Customs clearance for them – you must:
- submit an electronic import entry or electronic cargo entry (ECI) lodgement
- pay applicable Customs duties and Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- pay other applicable charges and levies
- submit appropriate documentation if you’re bringing in any restricted items, including:
You can ask Customs brokers and freight forwarders for help with preparing your import entry.