- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
Take a look at some interesting facts about your information.
Fact: Did you know Customs has been operating since 5 January 1840? That makes us the oldest government department in New Zealand.
FAQ: Why do we need Customs at all?
Answer: In an age of travel and technology it’s easier than ever to interact with people outside New Zealand. Keeping our borders safe and stopping threats and risks entering New Zealand is constant and essential.
Fact: All babies are born with blue eyes but their eye colour changes over time
FAQ: Why can’t families with young children use the airport e-gate?
Answer: Our eGate uses facial recognition which, with young children, makes tracking rapidly changing facial features impossible. This means that there would be a very high rate of rejection at eGates for young children.