On Monday 20 January it's Wellington Anniversary Day and Wellington Customhouse will be closed to the public and will reopen on Tuesday 21 January.
We collect, use and disclose information about you in order to carry out our functions and duties.
We’re only interested in the information we need to keep our border safe and secure – no more, no less. We use the information we collect from you to carry out our lawful functions.
The Customs and Excise Act 2018 allows us to collect the information necessary to:
- process people, goods and craft across the border
- collect Crown revenue
- manage, investigate and mitigate risks to NZ
- such as drug smuggling, revenue fraud and prohibited goods
- to assist the Ministry for Primary Industries to manage and mitigate biosecurity risks, and
- to assist other government agencies who have a legislative responsibility at the border.
We collect this information directly from you wherever possible and practicable. However, this is not always feasible and the law allows us to collect information from other sources like:
- government organisations and companies:
- agencies such as Department of Internal Affairs, Immigration NZ or the NZ Police
- international partner agencies with a border protection or border revenue collection function
- travel or shipping industry companies
- someone you have authorised to act on your behalf.
Sometimes you may not be aware that we have collected information about you. We can collect it from a variety of different sources, such as other government agencies and the internet. This information helps us to identify and investigate non-compliant behaviour.
We also collect information about businesses and organisations . When we collect and use that information the same rules and safeguards are applied.
We may need to disclose your information to other organisations, both domestic and international. For details on what we share, why we share it, when and with whom, check out: Sharing Your Information and Information Matching and Sharing.
If you have a question or concern, or wish to make a complaint, about our information gathering please contact us.