Skip to main content
Page load in progress

Start exporting

You must get clearance for anything you’re exporting from New Zealand for commercial reasons unless it’s exempt.

Exporting commercial items

To get clearance for this, you can:

  • ask a Customs agent, broker or freight forwarder to do it on your behalf
  • submit the clearance yourself through the Trade Single Window (TSW) service (authorised users only)
  • use the Online Declarations website (authorised users only)
  • use Electronic Data Exchange (EDI) software (authorised users only).

You must:

  • keep all your documentation for at least 7 years, and be able to produce it
  • keep the documents in New Zealand, not in the cloud or offshore.

Types of export clearances

There are two types of clearances:

  • Export entry - full description of everything you’re exporting, including their classification under the Working Tariff Document of New Zealand (if you’re not used to working with the Tariff, we suggest you ask a Customs broker, agent or freight forwarder to act on your behalf)
  • Electronic cargo information (ECI) – summary details for items or consignments whose total value is less than NZ$1,000.

For export entries and ECIs, you will need:

  • your client code (if you’re using a broker and your consignment is worth less than NZ$1,000, you don’t need a client code)
  • the name of the craft or vessel on which your items are leaving NZ
  • the free on board value of the goods – this value is made up of:
    • the value of your items
    • costs for packaging and transport in New Zealand
    • any other costs up until they’re loaded for export.

If you’re using an export entry, you’ll also need the Tariff codes of the item/items you’re exporting.

You may need other permits or approvals, depending on what you’re exporting, and to where. You must get an export entry for anything which needs a permit or approval, regardless of value.

You won’t be able to export some items at all.

You may also be able to get a drawback – a type of refund – on any duty you paid.

If you are claiming a drawback, you must lodge a drawback entry.