Skip to main content
Page load in progress

Receive items from overseas

  • To find out where your parcel is, you need to contact the shipper. Customs doesn't store goods and can't track or trace your parcel.
  • You don't have to pay anything to Customs if the item you brought in from overseas is valued at NZ$1000 or less, unless it's alcohol or tobacco.
  • If your item cost more than NZ$1000, or you're importing alcohol or tobacco, you will need to pay Customs duty and GST.
  • For items that cost more than NZ$1000, you also need to apply for a Customs Number.
  • Some items aren't allowed to be brought into New Zealand.

"Where's my parcel?"

To find out where your parcel is, you need to contact NZ Post, the courier, fast freight or shipping company. Customs does not store or track goods, and we cannot trace your parcel.

"What's my duty?"

The What’s My Duty? tool can help you estimate any Customs charges and taxes.

If you are bringing items into New Zealand for commercial reasons, for example to sell or for a business, you need to contact a Customs broker who will liaise with Customs on your behalf.

Rules for importing tobacco

The rules for importing tobacco have recently changed, and a permit is now required to bring or receive any tobacco into NZ, including gifts. Please visit the tobacco page for full details of the new requirements.

Items that cost NZ$1000 or less

If you're bringing items to New Zealand from overseas that cost NZ$1000 or less you don't have to pay anything to Customs, as GST is collected when you purchase your items. There's nothing else that you must do for your items to arrive.

However, we do charge Duty and GST for alcohol and tobacco products regardless of value.

Customs rates of exchange

If you buy an item in any currency that isn’t New Zealand dollars (NZD), it will be converted into NZD to get the Customs Value.

We use our own rates of exchange, which are set every two weeks and published 11 days in advance. We’ll use the rate that is current when your item arrives.

Online items that cost more than NZ$1000

If you buy items from overseas for over NZ$1000, we collect GST and/or Duty and you must apply for a Customs Number.

Step 1

Order items for over NZ$1000, arrange transport to NZ and apply for a Customs Number (Client Code).

Step 2

The company that has transported your items will contact you when those items arrive in New Zealand.

Step 3

Email with the following:

Alternatively you can contact a Customs broker to manage the process for you at your own cost.

Step 4

Customs will issue you an invoice based on the Customs Value, which is the cost of the item in New Zealand Dollars (NZD), as well as the cost of shipping and any insurance. This charge will be made up of:

Step 5

Pay your bill

Step 6

Once you have paid, your transport company will receive automatic notification that your goods can be delivered to you.

False or incomplete declarations

You are responsible for the information on Customs declarations being correct.

Please be aware that some websites may offer to declare an incorrect value for your item on the Customs declaration, so you can avoid paying GST or duty.

If the sender gives incorrect information or doesn’t make a declaration, your item could be delayed and investigated. In some cases, we may seize your item, and you will have to pay extra charges.

You may also face criminal charges for knowingly making a false declaration.

Some items aren’t allowed to be brought into New Zealand

Please look at the full list of prohibited and restricted imports.

Examples of prohibited items include:

  • luxury goods of Russian origin including vodka, truffles, seafood , precious stones, and other luxury goods of Russian origin worth more than $1000 including clothing, footwear and personal electronics. This prohibition applies to goods made in Russia, no matter where they are sold online or shipped from.
  • gold of Russian origin.
  • oil, gas and coal of Russia origin
  • some dog breeds
  • dog-tracking collars
  • objectionable material
  • equipment for using cannabis or methamphetamine.

Other items need permission before you can bring them in. Examples of items that require a permit to import include:

  • tyres
  • weapons
  • diamonds
  • radioactive materials
  • plant and animal products, including food and accessories.

Returns, repair and replacement goods

If you return an item that cost less than NZ$1000, the company you purchased it from is responsible for issuing any refund.

If your item cost more than $1000 and you return an item to the supplier and they repair the item, you don’t need to pay duty and GST on return except for any cost incurred by the importer and the associated freight costs (free repairs incur no costs). You will need to provide proof of the cost of repairs such as an invoice showing that it is the same item returning and any cost involved with the repairs.

Warranty replacements sent from the supplier are treated as a new import and incur full importation costs.

You can apply for a refund for the original import provided it meets the below criteria and sufficient evidence can be supplied.

If you paid duty at the time of importation, you may request a refund of duty, provided the item is returned to the supplier. You must provide evidence of the return.

However, GST can only be refunded if:

If you return the item/s to the supplier or destroy under direction from Customs due to:

  • the item being faulty
  • your item was damaged, destroyed, stolen or deteriorated before it was released by Customs
  • the item is not what you ordered.

You are not eligible for a refund of GST if you have imported goods from overseas, they have been received but you then decide you don't want all or some of them.

To request a refund, please email with the details of your refund application.

For businesses, please refer to the Commercial refunds and drawbacks page for refund information.