- Start importing
- Prohibited and restricted imports
- Import animals
- Commercial ships and cruise liners
- Lodge your import entry
- Valuation for import
- Preferential tariff duty rates
- Customs rulings
- Customs exchange rates
- Import payments and refunds
- Deferred accounts for importers
- Deferred accounts for brokers
- Import forms and documents
- What is excise?
- Apply for a licence
- Lodge your excise entry
- Claim excise duty remission or refund
- Pay excise duty and other charges
- Apply for excise duty credit or drawback
- Moving excisable items
- Changing, suspending or cancelling your licence
- Amend, surrender or transfer your licence
- Change your entry or payment timeframe
- Excise forms and documents
- Advice for exporters, importers and businesses
- Movement of goods
- Customs duties
- Excise clients
- Goods clearance fees deferral
- Lodging of Import Declarations
- Movement of critical supplies
- NZ Maritime Border Controls
- Permits and Carnets
- Point of Care test kits
- Public counters
- Tariff Concessions
- Trade enquiries
New rates for tobacco and tobacco products
The annual indexation increase to excise and excise-equivalent duty rates together with a separate 10 percent increase will take place on 1 January 2019.
The annual indexation increase is based on the movement in the All Groups Consumers Price Index (excluding credit services) over the 12-month period to 30 September 2018.
In addition to the annual indexation increase, the excise duty rates will also increase by 10 percent. This is the third of the four 10 percent increases announced in the 2016 Budget and legislated for in the Customs and Excise Act 2018.
The new rates are those set out in the Excise and Excise-equivalent Duties Table (Tobacco Products Indexation and Separate 10% Increase) Amendment Order 2018.
The new rates are summarised as:
|Tobacco products||Rate of excise and excise-equivalent duty from1 January 2018 (GST excluded)|
exceeding in weight 0.8 kg actual tobacco content per 1,000 cigarettes
$1,317.93 per kilo tobacco content (KTC)
|Smoking tobacco, homogenised or reconstituted tobacco||$1317.93 per kilo tobacco content (KTC)|
|Other tobacco products, eg snuff, cigars, cheroots and cigarillos||$1156.05 per kilo tobacco content (KTC)|
Tobacco and tobacco products removed from a licensed manufacturing area or imported after midnight on 31 December 2018 will be subject to the new rates.
If you need further information, please contact Customs on 0800 428 786 (0800 4 CUSTOMS) or refer to Excise on the Customs’ website.
The Allowances and Charges page on the Customs website will be updated with the new excise rates for specific products on 1 January 2019.