UN and other sanctions
The New Zealand Government has imposed export and/or import sanctions against a number of countries, under the United Nations Act 1946, in response to resolutions adopted by the United Nations Security Council.
Other than rough diamonds goods covered by the sanctions may not be imported into New Zealand, except with the consent of the New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
United Nations sanctions also include controls on the import and export of rough diamonds. The United Nations Act 1946, United Nations Sanctions (Kimberley Process) Regulations 2004 prohibit the importation of rough diamonds unless:
- The shipment is from a country which is a participant in the Kimberley Process
- The importer holds a Kimberley Process Certificate from the country of export
- The original copy of the approval is produced to Customs
- The rough diamonds are imported in a tamper resistant container.
Authority: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
These sanctions apply to:
- Luxury goods of Russian origin including seafood, truffles, alcohol, cigars, perfumes, fur apparel, coins and banknotes, handwoven tapestries, lead crystal glassware, precious stones and metals and swords and bayonets
- Other luxury goods of a value over $1000, including clothing footwear and personal electronics
- Gold of Russian origin
- Oil, gas and coal of Russia origin.
A full list of all prohibited imports is available in the Russia sanctions register. All the HS Tariff classifications subject to the import ban can be found on the Trade Measures tab. The register is regularly updated as new sanctions are imposed, so please check it often. To receive email alerts about Russia sanctions including when the sanctions register is updated, sign up here.
There are also some exceptions to the import prohibitions, for example, personal or household effects, so check if any of these apply to you and your situation. If not, and you still want to import a prohibited good, you can seek an exemption from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.